Sunday, February 12, 2006

Walmart - An American Tradition

My family and I were recently doing some shopping. Fulfilling our American duty, we pulled into our local Walmart parking lot. Those of us who shop at the Walmart on Wards Rd. know how stressful it can be to find a parking space. It is always mobbed and this particular evening was no exception. I must interject at this point that I am a bit obsessive about getting a "good spot". Ask my wife and she will tell you that I sometimes circle the parking lot passing up acceptable spots only because they weren't "close enough". Anyway, I carefully chose the aisle I thought had the best chance of a close spot when yes, there it was, the perfect location. Right next to the handicap spot! You can't get any better than that! I was gleefully preparing to swoop in when what to my wondering eyes did appear... some lady, muscling in from the opposite direction, completely ignoring the yellow arrows that clearly indicated she was travelling the wrong direction. Well, she stopped just past the spot I was intending to occupy, put her car in reverse and was preparing to back into MY spot. Well, I must say I was a bit in shock because I had already started to make the turn the minute she cleared the front of my van. There we sat, I was in her way and in a complete state of shock, and she was blowing her horn. I couldn't believe it! I looked over to see if she had come to her senses. Nope, she was waving her arms and spewing what looked like all sorts of vulgarities and whatnots. It was at this point that I decided it was time to cut and run. I gave her MY spot and went to the next aisle and parked. I jealously watched as she and I believe 4 little children extracted themselves from their car and made the "short" walk in. I must say, this is an area I need to work on. We went about our shopping and got in a "slow" line to check out when I proceeded to jump lines because this line was moving too slow. Imagine my chagrin to find we hopped in line behind guess who. Yup, it was her and her 4 little ones. I don't think she recognized us as the parking lot idiots, although, maybe she did and just maybe she felt slightly foolish..I know I did.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

I get to be the first one to comment on the new blog! I feel so honored!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Oops. I scrolled down and saw that I wasn't the first one to comment after all. Your blog sat dormant for a few months. Oh well.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Ben and Juanita said...

Yeah...it was in a state of top secret pre-blogdom. I knew I didn't have time to blog so I didn't want people giving up on it before it even began...so to speak.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Glen Zehr said...

Wal-Mart.... The most dreaded words in the american language.....

3:51 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Why is it when people get behind a steering wheel they tend to become raging inconsiderate animals? It always amazes me how quick people seem to snap over the slightest little infraction when on the road or in a parking lot. They call it "road rage" these days. Why do people have to be so un-forgiving on the road? I tend to think its because people, in general, tend to live with way too much unresolved conflict in their lives. Unfortunately, some of us become the targets of the hostility that is ready to explode from them.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im proud to say that i was the second one to locate this blog. glen beat me but other than that...

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home