Monday, July 10, 2006

Broadband, please...pretty please.

I am sick and tired of dial-up. I have checked on DSL numerous times only to be told it is not available. One time I aggressively called Verizon and sat through several hold times and got transferred a half dozen times and eventually was able to talk to someone who actually could tell me why I can't get it. It appears my line is fiber optic and he claimed DSL will not run on fiber optic but needs copper lines to work. Seems to me if you go back on any network far enough you will fiber optic. Maybe it is fiberoptic almost to my doorstep. He did point out that there is some newer technology coming that runs on fiber optic and is supposedly faster than DSL. It is called FIOS but is only in limited markets which means I'll be getting it maybe when I am 70 years old and unable to drag my wrinkled and withered body to the computer.

I do have cable run up my street which was installed about 5 years ago but broadband is still unavailable. I call or email them about once a month to make sure they know I am still waiting but to no avail. I was working in a subdivision last week when I saw a jetbroadband truck and the technician was shooting some new lines for installation. I actually turned around and went back and chatted with him for awhile. I explained my frustration about not having access to broadband and he said he actually built the lines on my street and remembered where it was. He rattled off a bunch of techno language that went completely over my head about how they are slowly upgrading the lines and installing thingamajigs and whatnots. Anyway, he said one guy actually went door to door and got his neighbors to sign a petition and actually got the company to upgrade his neighborhood. He said they target areas that have shown interest. I must be the only poor sap in my neighborhood that wants broadband.

I have also been following with interest a co-op that is installing a grid of new fiberoptic in the central Virginia area. These would be to serve the more sparsely populated areas. Apparently, they will be selling rights to other company's to use their cables.
They are called Mid-Atlantic Broadband
and I'm hoping they will open up some other options for broadband.
Meanwhile I lumber along at the breakneck speed of 56k and hope I don't injure myself.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Hey Ben. I feel your pain but cannot relate. I have been a happy broadband user for over 5 years now. Perhaps your quickest way to get broadband would be to sell out and move to where it is available. That is what I would do. Just some advice from your bro! LOL

8:57 PM  
Blogger Glen Zehr said...

You mean you didn't understand his technogeeklingo??? Amazing.....

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at 56 you are smokin' mine is 26, which explains my very minimal usage. I'm going to start renting a turtle to deliver hand written messages.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Momof3 said...

Having dial up is a good way to teach yourself patience, I've decided.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home