Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Surgery

I used to be blind as a bat without corrective lenses. In the 7th grade I got my first pair of glasses and I was amazed. I walked out of the eye doctors office in utter amazement. I was seeing individual blades of grass instead of a blur of green. It gave me a whole new perspective on life. I wore glasses until I was about 16 and then switched to hard contact lenses. I was very dependent on my corrective eyewear. They were the first things I put on upon awakening and the last thing I took off before lights out. I even had to buy a large display alarm clock just to tell what time it was at night. I still use that alarm clock.
Well, when I was about 28 I opted to have LASIK surgery performed on both of my eyes. My right eye was always worse than my left eye and the doctor said it may not respond quite as well as the left. I considered the surgery a success even though the right eye was not quite 20/20.
I recently went to the eye doctor just for a routine checkup and the right eye was still slightly behind and maybe slightly worse. I went ahead and got a pair of glasses just for driving and for things like church overheads and such.
I would retire that alarm clock with the huge numbers however it reminds me of what I once was...

Has anyone else had eye surgery? Would you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Melodee said...

I haven't. I'm too scared and too poor (mostly too poor). Maybe someday.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your surgery was successful.Duane would love to have it done.His eyes are bad.My nephew went Canada to have the eye surgery, but the lining on his eyes were to thin.I wouldn't want to risk it for myself.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I had the RK surgery, not the Lasik done about 12 years ago..The only way to go but expensive I know. Since age is creeping up a pair of reading glasses might be in order, but I feel so blessed to have gone this long. Kim Glenn

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home