Monday, February 20, 2006

Alarms Clocks & Monday Mornings...Ouch

Alarm clocks can be very annoying. I have found that the annoyance level is directly related to how much sleep one has acquired in the preceding day/week. It seems Monday mornings are always "unusual". Monday mornings are often affected by the change in activities over the weekend and also the occasional Sunday afternoon nap. I took a pretty long nap yesterday afternoon...like 2.5 hours worth. These naps generally do not bode well for the upcoming nights sleep. Last night I went to bed as I always do but as I was in typical, post nap condition, I rolled around for quite some time. Eventually I fell into a light sleep for most of the night only to be awakened by what I thought was my alarm clock. I drowsily looked at my alarm clock... yup...6:12...must'a been my alarm clock but I don't seem to remember hitting the snooze...strange.
You may at this point wonder, "Who in the world sets their alarm for 6:12! This guy is nuts. Why not 6:15 like a normal individual or even 6:10!"
I admit, I am a bit weird on this one. I used to set it for 6:20 in hopes to be out the door by 6:50...this was just not working. I at some point got frustrated by the hurried feeling every morning and hastily changed it. It haphazardly stopped on 6:12. I, being too lazy to go all the way around 24 hours but too nervous to set it any later, left it there. Thus, I have become comfortable with 6:12...I like it. Anyway, back to my story. I extracted myself from bed and went about my morning routine. My wife usually gets up 20 minutes after I get up to help shove me out the door for which I am very grateful. Well, this morning she got up, wandered out and said..."It's 5:30, not 6:30...I'm going back to bed." I couldn't believe it...I got out of bed at 5:12! That's kind of like realizing the dentist just pulled the wrong tooth! I, through tears of misery, resigned myself to just staying up and doing something other than sleeping... like posting this terrible story. I know one thing. These Sunday afternoon naps have got to stop.

How much time do you allow in the mornings?

10 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Tears of misery. Yeah that is a good way to describe mornings for me.Not necessarily tears but most often misery. I often can't communicate till about 10 minutes after the first cup of coffee gets into the blood stream.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Conrad said...

You wouldn't believe this but i slept for 4 hours yesterday afternoon. An hour before lunch then 3 hours after. That night i managed to get to sleep pretty good at around 11:30 or so and slept till my phone went of at 7:30 which i quickly shut off and then finally got up at 7:42, don't ask me how i was able to sleep so well i don't know... I don't even think i was that tired yesterday...Once i hit the bed i couldn't get up heh heh heh

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know the feeling... sunday afternoon, i did not plan on a nap... but ended up sleeping almost 3 hours... and still getting 7 hours last night... but usually i get up at 5:30 to leave at 6:35ish

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben,
I'm sure you will not remember me,
but I ran into you years ago at a
school out near Chambersburg. Your
taste for coffee and evening fellowship made for great memories.
What a blessing to see you still singing the low stuff for a great quartet! To think that I had the opportunity to blend with you way back then, what an honor!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Ben and Juanita said...

It can only be one of two individuals...it's either R.C. or B.F.

I'm guessing it is B.F. and the honor was all mine.

Of course, there is the chance I'm way off which means I need more clues.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

I hope it is B.F. because maybe, just maybe, we can get his elusive email address out of this. lol

10:05 PM  
Blogger Momof3 said...

I'm actually not minding Monday mornings right now, like I might would otherwise. Vern doesn't have class until 10 AM on Mondays this semester, which means he doesn't have to leave until 9ish--we get to sleep in a little bit longer than most mornings! By the end of April that time frame will change though, so I'm enjoying this time while I can!
~Lez

8:12 AM  
Blogger Glen Zehr said...

Well, when we were milking at 4 or five in the morning I would set my alarm for 4/5 and I could be in the barn within five-ten minuets. This is something I have been very proud of......

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You nailed it. Man you MIller men
blog with the best! I love reading
blogs and hate writing period. So
don't expect a great deal of communication from this school teacher. Eight o clock bean is one
of my favorite morning brews. Cheap and tasty. Going for another
cup.
BF

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I set all the clocks in the house ahead 10 mins. I usually am out the door in 15 mins. I go to work at 6:30. Until the coffee kicks in, it's not pretty. I wish I were a farmer so I could take an after breakfast nap. That was for Glen.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home