Saturday, February 25, 2006

A Tribute to MY Hammer

A great tragedy took place on Friday. My hammer of close to 15 years finally succumbed to old age. If I were able to write poetry I would attempt to write a poem about my hammer. This hammer was a graduation gift from my brother Rob. This hammer was special because it is one of the few tools that I haven't lost. I have a knack for losing tools but this tool simply would not be lost. It has been with me from the beginning and stayed with me till the end.
I am deeply saddened by this loss although I am happy to report that my hammer broke with dignity. It didn't fly apart under much stress or strain. It's head simply plopped off with a gentle tap of the handle...I think it was as surprised as I was. So, a hammer has come and gone but it will not soon be forgotten...

I went out tonight and purchased a new hammer. It is just like my old hammer yet something tells me it won't be the same. Hopefully we will learn to trust each other, just like my old hammer and I...


4 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

You gotta be kidding! I absolutely DO NOT remember giving that to you as a graduation gift. LOL. Little did I know that it would mean you would chose construction as your career! Oh well, so it goes.

9:27 PM  
Blogger darrell hershberger said...

This must be difficult-- There is something a bit sad about this, really. Nice post.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hammers are like comfortable old slippers minus the smell. You don't realize what you have until it's gone... although it can be replaced it harkens back to long forgotten days of sweat and paychecks. I could go on and on but why.... ?

10:49 PM  
Blogger Melodee said...

May it rest in peace . . . or rather pieces. :)

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home