Tuesday, March 21, 2006

More "Pics from above"

I have been exceedingly busy lately which makes for sporadic posting.
Here are some pics from my flying days.

This first pic is prior to an evening flight to Bay Bridge airport. The tall chap on the left, Robert Bachofner from Holland, was my flight instructor. It is very typical of foreigners to come to the US to get their instructor rating. They will then instruct for awhile to rack up flight time while also gaining a better grasp of the English language. He had a fairly heavy Dutch accent that I can still hear in my head today. The other two are simply friends along for the ride. The plane is a Piper Cherokee Warrior.

For this next picture, I was on my long cross country flight which is required to get your private pilots license. I was enroute to Norfolk International when I snapped this looking out into the Atlantic Ocean. The little finger of land you see is Cape Henry right on the northern tip of Virginia Beach. Notice the heavy ship traffic. I had just passed over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel which is a section of Rt. 13 that goes under the water to allow ships to pass over the top of the road.

until next time...

4 Comments:

Blogger Momof3 said...

Do you still fly at all? As in, is your pilot's license still good?

8:08 AM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

Thanks Ben for putting up with all those guys over the weekend.Especially James. Here is my blog since you visit peoples blog 5 times a day I'm thinking you might have time to check mine out, or I think I already gave you mine.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Ben and Juanita said...

Pilot licenses are good for life as long as you don't do anything stupid and pass your physical. However for a private pilot you must have a flight review done by a flight instructor every two years to remain "current" I had one about two years ago so I believe I am currently uncurrent.
It's just too expensive for me to be flying very much right now.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Ben and Juanita said...

Sylvia,

It was fun having the guys here for the weekend and yes, I visit your blog occasionally to keep informed about your current status of grandparenthood.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home